Entrepeneur & Mother of three
International musician, marathon swimming pioneer, inspirational speaker and entrepeneur
Acclaimed flute virtuoso and founder of the multiple award-winning and internationally renowned instrumental group Sterling EQ, Carina Bruwer is not only one of the most recognisable instrumental musicians in South Africa; she has also made an indelible mark on the open water and marathon swimming record books through many daring and record-breaking swimming feats. These include the 36km English Channel crossing, swimming from Europe to Africa across the Gibraltar Straits, swimming 35km to cross the “White shark capital of the world”, False Bay, and dozens more local and international extreme swims. Ranked amongst the World Open Water Swimming Association’s top 50 most “daring, courageous and audacious” open water swimmers in the world, and nominated for the International Marathon Swimming’s Hall of Fame, it has often been assumed that Carina’s music must be secondary to her career as a swimmer, but according to Carina, swimming is a mere hobby (read: obsession!) while her main career focus has always been music – as her many awards, accolades and extensive following can attest to…
- Carina performs professionally in diverse musical genres – from Classical, World and crossover to Jazz, Flamenco, Latin, pop and rock.
- She is the only slide flute player in Africa
- Her playing features on dozens tracks and productions from across the globe
- Founder of Gigster.co.za
- Founder of SAMA-winning instrumental pop group Sterling EQ
- Honorary citizen of Bizerte (Tunisia) and Spotorno (Italy)
- Founder of Swim For Hope
- First SA woman to cross False Bay (36km)
- Ranked amongst the World Open Water Swimming Association’s top 50 most “daring, courageous and audacious” open water swimmers in the world, and nominated for the International Marathon Swimming’s Hall of Fame,
- First to swim Triple Country (21km France-Monaco-Italy), Northern-most point of Africa and Danger Point.
- Previous record holder for various swims incl Straits of Gibraltar, Cape Point, Round Robben Island
Carina returns from multi-marathon European swim and concert tour with podium finishes and accolades
Carina Bruwer flew the South African flag high at the 9th Arena Aquamasters Open Water Swimming Championships in Bodrum, Turkey, where she was invited as the featured guest of the championship, to participate in all the various...
South African musician Carina Bruwer has successfully completed a groundbreaking open water swim in Europe, crossing from France to Monaco and then to Italy (via another section of France), in support of Muzukidz, an organisation that offers children from...